Friday, October 15, 2010

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow!

Ah, the first big snowfall of the year. I had planned on beginning a big 8 peak weekend today by hiking Nye, Street, Cascade and Porter. Then a few days there were reports that there would be 3'' of rain. I figured Indian Pass Brook would flood and I wouldn't be able to cross it to hike Nye and Street. Then a nor'easter came tumbling in and I was asked to cancel my plans altogether.

There were reports of 3 foot snow drifts and 50 mph wind gusts on 4,000' mountains in Vermont. I can only imagine what the 5,000' mountains were like in New York. This is a picture of Route 73, by the trail head to Cascade and Porter. I guess it's a good thing I was convinced not to go.


4 comments:

  1. I heard about all the snow in Vermont! I actually wanted to go hiking this weekend but cancelled because of the weather. It's good news for skiing season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. too bad the hike had to be canceled though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's alright, I still managed to get out and do a little hiking. It will be ski season soon enough!

    ReplyDelete